Monday, June 9, 2008

Secret Service Encounter before 7 a.m.

You know you're living in the district when you talk to an armed secret service agent before 7 a.m. I went running before work for the first time since I started work, and it was very enjoyable. Minus the whole being out of shape thing. Seeing the capitol with the sunrising behind it, not hearing a horn honk every two seconds as I ran down the mostly deserted streets.

My route took me past the front of the CasaBlanca, down Pennslyvania. Then i turned down 15th street (downhill thank goodness i was starting to really sweat) past the treasury department and I was going to go on the ellipse on the back side of the White House. (My favorite side, with the Truman Balcony.) But a Secret Service dude stepped in front of the sidewalk and just shook his head. I had on headphones so I said, can I get out (of the Ellipse) if I go that way, pointing behind me. And he not so friendlyly said "You can do whatever you want as long as you turn around."

I know we have to protect the President, but sheesh.

Since I was, back in the day, an intern for the POTUS, I figured either Marine One was coming in for an arrival or departure. Normal citizens figure this out because the block the road and have a firetruck and crash team present, in case of an unforeseen crash or whatever. I never saw Marine One, but when I got to work I found out that the President had left for Europe with Secretary Condi at 7 a.m. I had missed them by about 20 minutes! I guess they figured I didn't want to join them, because they didn't ask. Oh well.

Nothing like having your running/walking route extended because of a Presidential excursion to Europe. I love this city!!

And I had a wonderful weekend, avoiding altercations with secret service and enjoying pancakes on BOTH Saturday and Sunday for brunch with friends. So you see the need for running on Monday.

From a hymn at church on Sunday - The piano player at church is incredible.

"For all the saints who from their labors rest,
Who Thee by faith before the world confessed,
Thy Name, O Jesus, be forever blessed.
Alleluia, Allelu.

O may Thy Soldiers, faithful, true and bold,
Fight as the saints who nobly fought of old,
And win with them the victor's crown of gold,
Alleluia, Allelu."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pancakes & secret service in one blog. you are a good person.