Monday, July 14, 2008

Where did June go?

Time is flying by!!! I'm sitting outside of my new location - the harry potter room of a rowhouse in georgetown! There's 3 other girls from the homeland - texas- living here so its very fun. And my room is all the space I need. (And maybe a square inch more!)

I got to see Renza, my oldest friend from Camp Longhorn, this weekend in St. Michaels, Maryland, where the filmed a lot of Wedding Crashers. The waiter at our restaurant said he served Rachel McAdams and that she was very nice. So basically I had lunch with Rachel McAdams.

DC is busy, filled with math tutoring, running, organizing my room, working, trying to be social, and... SCOOTERING.

my parentals bought me a moped (think Vespa without the label) for my birthday and though I haven't taken it to work yet for parking issues, its been fun around town. And since one of my best friends from A&M moved up here and lives on the hill now, it will be great to visit her on. Thanks mom & dad!

Speaking of friends, Laura Colby has left me for Seattle and Lauren Johnson seems to think she never has to return from Texas. I have definitely had it re-enforced into my brain that its not where you live, its who you know. Having a handful of truly great friends is what makes life in this city so enjoyable!! But i do miss the old ones terribly, which reminds me of a girl scout song... scary.

I have been at my job for a little over 2 months now, and it feels like one long week. I am very aware that I have 7 months to live here, to see it all, to enjoy it all, to give back to DC. I've got several lists going of things I need to, want to do, absolutely have to do. I'd like to help out a homeless shelter or tutoring program, I want to hit up more museums, I'm going to watch the sunrise from the Lincoln Memorial. And bike ride to mount vernon, and jump in a fountain, and befriend a total stranger on the metro, and make a homeless man that lives in Gtown a PB & J, and kayak on the potomac, and NYC! I better get started!

To anyone that reads this - thanks, and i hope you're enjoying life where you are. I hope you make a to-do list, too. Happy July!!

"Every time you wake up and ask yourself, "What good things am I going to do today?", remember that when the sun goes down at sunset, it will take a part of your life with it."
-Indian Proverb

No comments: